Crisis management is the process by which an organisation deals with a disruptive and unexpected event that threatens to harm the organisation, its stakeholders, or the general public. Tackling a crisis can be very challenging and difficult most of the times.
Always remember there are three parts to a crisis:
What is happening?
What are you doing about it?
If the key message is circulating in the media.
If you are a budding PR professional and have newly joined the fraternity, these few tips will definitely be of use.
- Do Not Panic.
- Any crisis has to be handled with utmost care or it may spin out of control.
- When in a crisis, do not be aggressive or defensive. Just be honest and a decent human being!
- You can only manage a crisis but not control it.
- Always remember, media is a watchdog of society!
- Keep in mind, when addressing the crisis, “say it all and say it fast”, especially for a big story or large crisis.
- Try to find credibility.
- While time is of essence, do not make a move without knowing all the facts.
- Always send in a written statement, it works the best!
- In a weak circumstance, it is sometimes better to send out a Press Release, giving out relevant information.
- State your point of view in a compact fashion as the media will always support the underdog!
Bonus content! Here are some more tips from Brighton Agency!
The blog originally appeared on the author’s blog site
– Amy Crasto
Amy is a Post Graduate in Public Relations from School of COmmunications & REputation (SCoRe), #ClassOf2017. She is currently completing her internship at Genesis Burson Mastellar, one of India’s leading Public Relations firms. Amy holds a Bachelor’s degree in Arts and Sociology from St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai. She
chose the line of PR as a profession as she likes challenges and is always ready to take on a new one.