The Specialisation in Social Impact Communications prepares you to help clients in social or public sector (or private sector clients operating in social sector).
Social Impact Communications or Development Communications refers to the practice of creating awareness and behavioural change around social causes. As a social impact communications specialist, you will engage with organisations such as NGOs, Government Departments, CSR outfits, Social and policy think tanks and associations etc. to create ideas, knowledge and campaigns that serve those causes. These causes are largely connected to those mentioned in the Sustainable Development Goal or Human Development Index, such as environment, health, education, poverty, equality etc.
This practice is one of the fastest growing in the Indian PR currently – in terms of number of organisations that are asking for expertise on it, the amount of focus they are putting on social impact and the size of campaigns being driven. However, there are very few consultancies offering social impact commuications services in a sizeable way. That means that there is incredible potential to learn and grow rapidly in this field.
Students complete the following for to earn this specialisation:
1. Internship: Two-month internship in a Social Impact consultancy/team
2. Live Project: Live project with a Social Impact team
3. Immersion: Two week immersion with a Social Impact client
4. Dissertation: 10,000 word dissertation on a topic related to Social Impact
5. Electives: Take three electives in the final term (Development Communications, Media Advocacy, Case study series)