One of the most integral parts in a public relations career is not client servicing but client delight.
Public relations professionals are hired to become an extension of a client’s team. Client’s work with us and depend on our ability to solve a challenges with our expertise. To win their trust, a PR professional must already have the answers and solutions in place before the client ask the questions.
A few things I’ve learnt about client servicing are:
- Firstly, setting clear expectations and painting a realist picture to the client.
- From time to time we must create graphs and charts of the goals achieved and share them with the client. These will help them know where their money is being invested. This also ensures that there is something to measure with and compare to later.
- Always, always keep the client in the loop of activities performed and the crucial materials. This way, everyone is on the same page with the goals and company messaging.
- We are playing the role of a communication consultant. Therefore, we should have in-depth knowledge about the industry and client’s company. Using this, we need to provide strategic advice to our clients which will help them strengthen their position.
- PR campaigns are successfully carried out based on a reasonable understanding of the client’s objectives, goals and need.
- In client servicing, it’s important that PR professionals work towards fulfilling the outcomes, as well as understanding and integrating the client’s needs too.
- Difficult clients do exist. It is a skill to be able to work out something that suits both you and your client. If reasoning with a client does not work, you need to adjust the plan accordingly without compromising on the main goal and targets.
The ones who master the art of client servicing will sail smooth in the field of PR and communications.
– Devika Joshi
Devika is a Management Trainee at Genesis Burson-Marsteller. She holds a postgraduate diploma in Public Relations & Corporate Communication from Xavier Institute of Communications (XIC), Mumbai and a bachelors in Management Studies (BMS) from Mithibai College. Devika loves to explore new places, and travels whenever she gets a chance. She can be reached at @Devika_J on twitter and here on LinkedIn.