Whenever we are asked the question, why do we have to learn a particular course, the answer we all may have is either to seek a job or understand more about it. If you ask me who should learn public relations, my answer someone who wants to be in the world of communication and creativity. If you are really want to take up a public relations course for a career in Public Relations make sure you have these qualities-
1. Ready to learn each day – No one is perfect in life, everyone is here to learn from each other. If you have this attitude it can help you to go long way in this field.
2. Good at prioritising – In PR, we never know what will happen at what time, it is never 9 am- 5 pm job, so if a crisis comes up at a point and if you have personal priorities to meet, how do you manage. If you are really good at handling such situations. Come, join the fraternity.
3. Love to network – Do you have that hesitation to talk to new people and carry a good conversation? Then PR cannot be the right option for you. You are in PR to meet new people and have some solid conversations.
4. Creativity at its peak – There is no room for doubt about the creativity element this profession has. To build up a campaign, to write a press release everything should have some kind of difference in it. Hence, creativity is a master in this profession.
5. Good at communication – There is no doubt that PR is definitely the art of storytelling. If one does not have a specific style in their communication and pitching their story he cannot be successful in it. Hence, the love for communication and able to present the matter properly should be a great quality a PR professional should possess.
6. Analytical, Technical and writing skills – If you have are good at analysing the data and managing it and able to build up some basic understanding of the technical and digital aspects because PR is not anymore mere campaign planning.There is no doubt that writing will be an important exercise every PR professional will have to carry forward. However, if you have the right attitude these skills can be trained and you can master it.
7. Understanding of business – If you are able to understand basic working of the business and how do companies work then understanding of PR can be easier.
8.- If you are interested to keep an eye into the world affairs and what is happening in the world, PR can be a good field that you can work and earn.
Anjana is a part of Class of 2019 in the Post Graduate Programme in PR & Corporate Communications at School of Communications & Reputation, Mumbai. She is a Bachelor of English Language and Literature from Prajyoti Niketan College, Kerala. Her interest for communication and leadership skills took her to the world of Public Relations. She is open to learning and keen to work hard to reach her goals.
Anjana completed her internship with Adfactors PR, Mumbai and was subsequently recruited by the firm at the end of her programme.